Here’s everything you need to know about Formula XD in one page, and it should be a good source for writing articles or just to quickly understand what the game is and how it came to be. This is a game still in development, so there are some features missing, there are some oversights, and parts of the game are not yet properly balanced.
Contact the Developer
If you want to get in touch, you canor send me a tweet, and I’ll almost certainly be able to respond in a timely manner.
- Name: Formula XD
- Genre: Strategy / Tactics / Management / Sports
- Developer: Nicholas Heathfield – Chesterfield, Derbyshire, UK
- Studio: Currently none – working as an unbacked solo developer
- Budget: Less than £500, not counting basic living costs
- Release Date: 2017
- Platform: Windows PC and MacOS
- Present Status: Alpha
- Project Began: November 2012, full-time development started September 2015
What is Formula XD?
Formula XD is a racing team strategy game that combines tough tactical gameplay with a spirit of tongue-in-cheek wackiness. Not only will you be adjusting your drivers’ fuel and tyre strategy in response to ever-changing race circumstances, you’ll also have to deal with extreme weather, sabotage, stray animals, food poisoning, and even terrorism.
At the start of each new season you’ll hire drivers, negotiate contracts with sponsors and engine suppliers, and make the big decisions necessary to keep your team above water. When race day comes you’ll issue orders to your drivers, and be responsible for guiding them to victory or defeat.
Can you make it from the bottom of the grid to win the World Constructors’ Championship? Will your name appear on the Wall of Fame? Or will your career end in obscurity and disgrace, like so many others before you?
Formula XD is coming soon-ish to Windows PC and a bit later to MacOS.
- Racing circuits set all over the world
- Loads of drivers, sponsors and engine suppliers
- Bright, colourful aesthetics
- Vibrant audio and an energetic synth soundtrack
- Get hired, buy a team, sell out, switch teams, it’s up to you
- Special abilities and game modifiers shake it up
- Filled to the brim with puntastic humour
About the Developer
Nicholas Heathfield is a solo game developer living in Chesterfield. After graduating from the University of Derby with a degree in Computer Games Modelling and Animation, he emerged a ‘Jack-of-all-trades’ with no specialism whatsoever, making him completely unemployable to the specialism-mad game industry.
Rather than let a little thing like that beat him, he used his generalist super-powers to start making a game that he’d wanted to play for about ten years – Formula XD. By September 2015 he’d had enough of dead-end jobs and weekly bowing and scraping at the Job Centre, and decided to turn game development into his full time job. Since then he has been in permanent, almost uninterrupted crunch with no money or time for anything else. He’s like some kind of machine. He can also write whatever he likes on his own press releases.
Nicholas Heathfield is dedicated to the cause of proving that one (young) man (with no money) can make a difference. At least, for the moment he is, anyway.
All music for the game is original and written by the developer.